Court for lauded N.J. teacher accused of student sex
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - September 12, 2012 (WPVI) -- A woman who was named 2011's Essex County Teacher of the Year is due in court on charges that she had a sexual relationship with a 15-year-old male student.
Erica DePalo faces aggravated sexual assault, sexual assault and child endangerment charges.
Prosecutors say the 33-year-old Montclair resident had a relationship with a student in her honors English class. They say the affair started in June and ended recently.
School officials say DePalo has been indefinitely suspended from her job teaching English at West Orange High School.
Prosecutors have not said how they learned of the alleged relationship.
DePalo's bail has been set at $100,000. It's not clear if she had retained an attorney.
She's due in court Wednesday morning in Newark.
teens, teachers, sex, sex assault, new jersey, local/state
- Numbers drawn for $636M Mega Millions jackpot
- Brisk And Cold 7 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Water main break causes river of ice in Cherry Hill 14 min ago
- Fire damages South Philadelphia apartment 1 min ago
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies
- Dramatic video released of violent 7-Eleven robbery
- Coach charged with sexually assaulting 4 more victims
- Woman found murdered in Bethlehem
- 91-year-old man stabbed, robbed in Egg Harbor
- Harvard student charged in campus bomb hoax
- Kevin Hart on stolen computers: I'll be back
- Brisk And Cold
7 min ago
- Water main break causes river of ice in...
14 min ago
- Fire damages South Philadelphia apartment
1 min ago