Man sentenced 30-60 years in Northern Liberties shooting
PHILADELPHIA - September 12, 2012 (WPVI) -- A man has been sentenced 30 to 60 years in connection with a Northern Liberties shooting that left another man paralyzed from the neck down.
Christopher Easton pleaded guilty Tuesday to shooting 29-year-old Kevin Neary in the neck.
"I think the verdict was fair, the sentence was fair, considering the nature of the crime," Neary said.
On the morning of November 15th, Neary was only steps from his home in Northern Liberties when Easton, high on PCP laced marijuana and stalking Neary for blocks, fired a gun in a robbery attempt.
He was trying to steal Neary's wallet, which had just $16 in it.
The shot severed Neary's spinal cord and left him a quadriplegic.
Now, Neary needs round the clock nursing care and machines to survive, as well as the TLC of his family and friends.
"Hugs, kisses, whatever they could do that could be something to uplift me and that's been incredible," Neary said.
Those who love him have banded together holding fundraisers and developing a website and a special needs trust to help offset medical expenses.
They say what's incredible is the outgoing Neary still gives more than he gets. His goal is to revive his startup business and inspire others with spinal cord damage.
"I want to uplift people. I don't want to be a miserable person. I don't want to give somebody a dreary outlook on their life; I want to be somebody who gives them opportunity," Neary said.
Easton told detectives he was bored the morning he followed and shot Neary.
Neary says he holds no ill will for his shooter, he wants to move on.
This Friday, Neary, a Phillies fan, will celebrate his 30th birthday at a fundraiser at Citizens Bank Park.
"The party we're doing at the Diamond Club, still tickets available (laughs), Kevinneary.com for information," Neary said.
philadelphia, northern liberties, shooting, local/state
- Saints will trade Sproles to Eagles; Birds sign Carroll 4 min ago
- Windy and cold today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- Malaysia: No debris in area shown on China images
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- High winds cause damage across the region
- Photos: Pictures from Thursday's wind damage
- Christie talks taxes at town hall meeting
- Residents forced to vacate East Oak Lane condo
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped 2 girls
- Rescue crews pull woman from Schuylkill River
- Health officials: Drexel student died from meningitis