NJ middle school evacuated for strong odor
MAYS LANDING, N.J. - September 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities evacuated 1000 students from an Atlantic County middle school Thursday after a strong odor was reported in several classrooms.
The evacuation began some time after 9:45 a.m. at the William Davies Middle School in Mays Landing.
School officials say a strong odor was detected in the area of the science classrooms, and administrators were concerned that it might be from a natural gas leak.
The evacuated students were put on school buses and taken to the George Hess Educational Complex Elementary School on Babcock Road in Mays Landing.
School officials say the students were given food and finished out the school day there.
Officials determined that the smell was coming from a sewer drain. They're still trying to pinpoint exactly what may be causing the odor.
No injuries were reported among students, faculty or staff.
new jersey, school, children, atlantic county, local/state
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion
- Bitter Blast Thursday
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Worker shocked by electrical cable in East Falls
- Bandit holds up TD Bank in Chestnut Hill
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Shooting victim drives to Broad St. police station
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Video: Cover Story: Can Foles break jinx?