NJ middle school evacuated for strong odor
MAYS LANDING, N.J. - September 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities evacuated 1000 students from an Atlantic County middle school Thursday after a strong odor was reported in several classrooms.
The evacuation began some time after 9:45 a.m. at the William Davies Middle School in Mays Landing.
School officials say a strong odor was detected in the area of the science classrooms, and administrators were concerned that it might be from a natural gas leak.
The evacuated students were put on school buses and taken to the George Hess Educational Complex Elementary School on Babcock Road in Mays Landing.
School officials say the students were given food and finished out the school day there.
Officials determined that the smell was coming from a sewer drain. They're still trying to pinpoint exactly what may be causing the odor.
No injuries were reported among students, faculty or staff.
new jersey, school, children, atlantic county, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ