NJ middle school evacuated for strong odor
MAYS LANDING, N.J. - September 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities evacuated 1000 students from an Atlantic County middle school Thursday after a strong odor was reported in several classrooms.
The evacuation began some time after 9:45 a.m. at the William Davies Middle School in Mays Landing.
School officials say a strong odor was detected in the area of the science classrooms, and administrators were concerned that it might be from a natural gas leak.
The evacuated students were put on school buses and taken to the George Hess Educational Complex Elementary School on Babcock Road in Mays Landing.
School officials say the students were given food and finished out the school day there.
Officials determined that the smell was coming from a sewer drain. They're still trying to pinpoint exactly what may be causing the odor.
No injuries were reported among students, faculty or staff.
new jersey, school, children, atlantic county, local/state
- Lockdown lifted at Pennsbury High School 30 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Multi-alarm fire at NJ apartment complex
- Western Pa. school reopens after stabbings 28 min ago
- Multiple arrests after fight in bar parking lot 10 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Tuesday's storm
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd 14 min ago
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd
14 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos