Ex-coach gets up to 23 months in player sex case
NORRISTOWN, Pa. (AP) -September 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- A former squash coach at a Philadelphia-area private school who pleaded guilty to corrupting the minors of a student could spend nearly two years in prison.
Fifty-one-year-old James Civello was sentenced Thursday to time-served to 23 months in prison for carrying on a sexual relationship with a 16-year-old girl on his team at the Shipley School.
Civello, of Upper Black Eddy, was arrested last summer after police say the girl and her parents reported the relationship. He pleaded guilty in May and his attorney says he's sought counseling.
Civello's now-18-year-old victim asked that he not serve additional jail time in a letter read to the court. She wrote that the relationship had "positive influences" on her.
Montgomery County prosecutors say the victim has been "manipulated."
sex, teens, teachers, pennsylvania, local/state
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ