Ex-coach gets up to 23 months in player sex case
NORRISTOWN, Pa. (AP) -September 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- A former squash coach at a Philadelphia-area private school who pleaded guilty to corrupting the minors of a student could spend nearly two years in prison.
Fifty-one-year-old James Civello was sentenced Thursday to time-served to 23 months in prison for carrying on a sexual relationship with a 16-year-old girl on his team at the Shipley School.
Civello, of Upper Black Eddy, was arrested last summer after police say the girl and her parents reported the relationship. He pleaded guilty in May and his attorney says he's sought counseling.
Civello's now-18-year-old victim asked that he not serve additional jail time in a letter read to the court. She wrote that the relationship had "positive influences" on her.
Montgomery County prosecutors say the victim has been "manipulated."
sex, teens, teachers, pennsylvania, local/state
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard 15 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill 26 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County 35 min ago
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco 28 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 30 min ago
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
26 min ago
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239...
15 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun...
30 min ago
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
35 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos