Fmr. coach James Civello sentenced in player sex case
NORRISTOWN, Pa. - September 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- A former squash coach at a Philadelphia-area private school who pleaded guilty to corruption of minors involving a student could spend nearly two years in prison.
Fifty-one-year-old James Civello was sentenced Thursday to time-served to 23 months in prison for carrying on a sexual relationship with a 16-year-old girl on his team at the Shipley School.
Civello, of Upper Black Eddy, was arrested last summer after police say the girl and her parents reported the relationship. He pleaded guilty in May and his attorney says he's sought counseling.
Civello's now-18-year-old victim asked that he not serve additional jail time in a letter read to the court. She wrote that the relationship had "positive influences" on her.
Montgomery County prosecutors say the victim has been "manipulated."
sex offenders, child sex assault, montgomery county, pennsylvania, local/state
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man critical after police-involved shooting
- Fire damages corner store in North Phila. 50 min ago
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Serial burglar strikes South Phila. businesses
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt 6 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Middle Township crash
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Police release surveillance of Target heist
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Fire damages corner store in North Phila.
50 min ago
- Dying dog in Canada has bucket list
56 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos