Fmr. coach James Civello sentenced in player sex case
NORRISTOWN, Pa. - September 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- A former squash coach at a Philadelphia-area private school who pleaded guilty to corruption of minors involving a student could spend nearly two years in prison.
Fifty-one-year-old James Civello was sentenced Thursday to time-served to 23 months in prison for carrying on a sexual relationship with a 16-year-old girl on his team at the Shipley School.
Civello, of Upper Black Eddy, was arrested last summer after police say the girl and her parents reported the relationship. He pleaded guilty in May and his attorney says he's sought counseling.
Civello's now-18-year-old victim asked that he not serve additional jail time in a letter read to the court. She wrote that the relationship had "positive influences" on her.
Montgomery County prosecutors say the victim has been "manipulated."
sex offenders, child sex assault, montgomery county, pennsylvania, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days 15 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Investigators chasing 'every angle' on missing jet 14 min ago
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
15 min ago