Groundbreaking for new field named after Michael Vick
Tuesday, September 18, 2012
PHILADELPHIA - September 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- The city of Philadelphia pulled out all the stops Tuesday afternoon to formally break ground on a new football field in Hunting Park.
And one of those stops was Eagles quarterback Michael Vick.For Michael Vick, it was part of the legacy he will leave behind outside of Lincoln Financial Field. "Part of me playing good football, there is another part of me that wants to make contributions to the community," said Vick.
It was the groundbreaking ceremony for what will now be referred to as Team Vick Field. The Eagle Quarterback's foundation has donated $200,000 to help transform the field in Hunting Park, that has long been a haven for drug dealers and prostitutes, into the renovated home of the Pop Warner North Philly Aztecs Football Program. The Aztec cheerleaders gave Michael a rousing welcome. Mayor Michael Nutter was on hand for the ceremony as well, along with legendary Eagles Quarterback Ron Jaworski. Jaws said he is proud to throw his support behind an initiative like this. "It is great to see Michael Vick making this sort f commitment to the community like the Phillies did, the Flyers and the Sixers have done," Jaworski said. Jaws referred to other renovations to the open space along West Hunting Park Avenue over the past year and a half, including a new baseball field courtesy of Phillies First Basemen Ryan Howard. Soon the beat-up, flood-prone field will be transformed into a modern facility complete with a drainage system, scoreboard, sod, bleachers and goal posts. Vick says the story behind the effort is a story about second chances; a theme near and dear to his heart. "The field was kind of forgotten about, it has been 19 years since a game has been played out here," said Vick. "Ryan Howard revitalized the baseball field, and I want to give them an opportunity to come play some football." Michael Vick says to prove his commitment to the Aztec Program, he promises to be there next season for the home opener on their brand new field next September.
(Copyright ©2014 WPVI-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
michael vick, philadelphia eagles, hunting park, philadelphia, local/state, walter perez
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 10 min ago
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
6abc.com News Links