Shaquille O'Neal co-owns NJ movie theater
NEWARK, N.J. - September 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- Shaquille O'Neal has a new kind of movie project: theater owner.
O'Neal, a four-time NBA champion, grew up in Newark, and now co-owns and operates the CityPlex 12 theater near downtown.
O'Neal and Newark Mayor Cory Booker formally opened the renovated, expanded theater Friday afternoon. It includes an auditorium with a 47-foot-wide screen. It partially reopened in May after being closed for renovations.
The project added six screens and 20,000 feet to the theater on Springfield Ave.
O'Neal, the NBA's Most Valuable Player in 2000, joked that the theater shouldn't screen his movie 'Kazaam' if it wants to stay in business.
Funding for the $7 million project came from Goldman Sachs Urban Investment group and other development companies. The theater will hold a promotion called "30 Days of Shaqness" that offers discounts and promotions.
new jersey, newark, movies, local/state
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video 59 min ago
- Wet to Wintry!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Moment of silence marks Boston bombings
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught...
59 min ago