Shaquille O'Neal co-owns NJ movie theater
NEWARK, N.J. - September 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- Shaquille O'Neal has a new kind of movie project: theater owner.
O'Neal, a four-time NBA champion, grew up in Newark, and now co-owns and operates the CityPlex 12 theater near downtown.
O'Neal and Newark Mayor Cory Booker formally opened the renovated, expanded theater Friday afternoon. It includes an auditorium with a 47-foot-wide screen. It partially reopened in May after being closed for renovations.
The project added six screens and 20,000 feet to the theater on Springfield Ave.
O'Neal, the NBA's Most Valuable Player in 2000, joked that the theater shouldn't screen his movie 'Kazaam' if it wants to stay in business.
Funding for the $7 million project came from Goldman Sachs Urban Investment group and other development companies. The theater will hold a promotion called "30 Days of Shaqness" that offers discounts and promotions.
new jersey, newark, movies, local/state
- New sighting reported of missing student's car 58 min ago
- Mostly cloudy, humid today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Disabled veteran robbed, beaten in home invasion 20 min ago
- 51-year-old man shot and killed in Kensington
- Victim ID'd in Deptford Township arson 14 min ago
- Tornado-hit states brace for more bad storms 2 min ago
- 2 alarm apartment fire in Washington Township
- Tracking down criminals with family DNA testing
- 15 motorcyclists arrested in NJ Turnpike chase
- Teen killed over iPad, 2 suspects arrested
- Bear spotted in Bensalem, Bucks County
- Sea Lion Worried About Little Girl 59 min ago
- Disabled veteran robbed, beaten in home...
20 min ago
- New sighting reported of missing student's...
58 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos