FlugTag flying crafts on the Camden waterfront
PHILADELPHIA - September 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- It was a day to go flying in Camden or at least to try and fly for some. It was red bull FlugTag day.
Perfect weather combined with creativity and a bit of reckless daring for FlugTag on the Camden Waterfont.
FlugTag means "flying day" in German, and the idea of this event is to create a craft that a pilot pushes off a ramp and flies, at least for a little bit, over the Delaware River. "We plan to set some new records with our aircraft," said Brady Lieburger. "You can see the aerodynamic features of the nose, the glasses and of course, where would you be without some nicely manicured eyebrows."
Aerodynamics is just part of this competition; the crafts have to be imaginative, as well. Among the 33 contenders, spectators could find breakfast foods, a Roman chariot, Oompa Loompas, and even a lobster. "I've never seen a lobster fly, I really want to see what happens with that," said John Wade. The teams came from near and far. The Tastykake theme and Ocean City Beach Patrol entries were clearly local, but "Duct and Cover" came from Virginia Tech. "We just know thought that duck tape fixes everything, so we thought, maybe duct tape would be able to fly also," said Brian Lusher. Even the U.S. Naval Academy was represented. "We finish our school work first and have fun second, so we are having a lot of fun today," said E.J. Halton. As fun as the machines are to look at, the real competition begins when they try to jump off the ramp to see how far they can fly. In the end, there were flops than flights, but all seemed to agree FlugTag was fun.
philadelphia, local/state, amy buckman
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife 18 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot by off-duty cop during fight ID'd
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar
- Man arrested after Phila. police crash, chase ID'd
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 21 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- Photos: Pictures from the 2014 Red Ball