$4.1 million bid for Philly archdiocese NJ villa
Sunday, September 16, 2012
VENTNOR, N.J. (AP) - September 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- A sprawling beachfront villa in New Jersey auctioned off by the Archdiocese of Philadelphia has gone for $4.125 million after fierce bidding between local families and a developer.Winning bidders Steve and Ilene Berger of Newtown Square said Saturday that they would preserve the property as a family compound. Tom Croke, representing the archdiocese in its property distribution, acknowledged "lots of mixed feelings" about the sale of the 11-bedroom Villa St. Joseph in Ventnor, near Atlantic City, which has been a retreat for priests for half a century.
The bid is subject to final approvals, but real estate and archdiocese officials have indicated that the church would be inclined to accept any reasonable bid for the property, which was assessed at $6.2 million.
(Copyright ©2013 WPVI-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
philadelphia archdiocese, jersey shore, new jersey, local/state
- Crews race to find tornado survivors; 24 dead
- Partly sunny, warm and humid today 49 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc 1 min ago
- Local help on the way for tornado victims
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help
- Street-level interactive weather map
- Box of ammo explodes, injuring man in Del. 50 min ago
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Man convicted of murder in Pa. musician's slaying
- 15 motorcyclists arrested following NJ chase ID'd
- 2 teens arrested at Pennsbury H.S. prom
- NJ ex-priest jailed after working with kids
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos