$4.1 million bid for Philly archdiocese NJ villa
Sunday, September 16, 2012
VENTNOR, N.J. (AP) - September 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- A sprawling beachfront villa in New Jersey auctioned off by the Archdiocese of Philadelphia has gone for $4.125 million after fierce bidding between local families and a developer.Winning bidders Steve and Ilene Berger of Newtown Square said Saturday that they would preserve the property as a family compound. Tom Croke, representing the archdiocese in its property distribution, acknowledged "lots of mixed feelings" about the sale of the 11-bedroom Villa St. Joseph in Ventnor, near Atlantic City, which has been a retreat for priests for half a century.
The bid is subject to final approvals, but real estate and archdiocese officials have indicated that the church would be inclined to accept any reasonable bid for the property, which was assessed at $6.2 million.
(Copyright ©2014 WPVI-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
philadelphia archdiocese, jersey shore, new jersey, local/state
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Wet to Wintry!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Driver loses control, hits parked SUV in South Philly 1 min ago
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos