Police shoot armed robbery suspect in Frankford
FRANKFORD - September 16, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police shot and wounded an armed man after he pointed a gun at officers in the city's Frankford section.
Authorities tell Action News that a man flagged down an officer from the 15th district on Frankford Avenue shortly after 3:00 a.m. to report that he had just been robbed of $30 by two males and a female who were armed with a gun.
A short time later, two officers saw the three suspects running down the 1600 block of Granite Street just off Frankford Avenue.
The two officers chased the suspects on foot.
During the pursuit, officials say, one of the males turned and pointed his gun at the officers.
Both officers discharged and shot one of the males in the arm.
That male was transported to Aria-Torresdale Hospital where he was treated and released.
He has been identified as Bernard Rayford.
He is charged with two counts of assault on police as well as robbery and theft.
The two other suspects were also taken into custody.
The initial robbery took place at the intersection of Frankford Avenue and Pratt Street.
Charges are pending in this case.
philadelphia, frankford, police, police chase, shooting, robbery, local/state
- Video captures Laundromat robbery 12 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- On video: Armed robber fails after KFC workers flee 36 min ago
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp. 48 min ago
- Woman injured in incident on train tracks in Center City 44 min ago
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Woman injured in incident on train tracks...
44 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos