Cooke sentenced to death in University of Delaware student murder
WILMINGTON, Del. - September 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- The man convicted of killing a University of Delaware student in 2005 has been sentenced to death.
A Superior Court judge sentenced James Cooke Jr., 41, to death on Monday, a sentence that was recommended by a jury earlier this year.
Cooke was convicted for killing of 20-year-old Lindsey Bonistall.
Cooke maintained his innocence and decried what he said was a corrupt judicial system after being sentenced.
In a statement, Attorney General Beau Biden said:
"Nothing changes the fact that Lindsey will not return home with her mom, dad, and sister to Westchester County. However, the sentence handed down reflects the brutality of her attack and murder."
Cooke was previously sentenced to death in 2007 for Bonistall's murder, but the Delaware Supreme Court overturned his conviction in 2009 because his lawyers, without Cooke's consent and despite his repeated claims of innocence, argued he was guilty but mentally ill.
Prosecutors said Cooke he broke into Bonistall's off-campus apartment and raped and strangled her before placing her body in a bathtub and setting the apartment on fire.
delaware, homicide, rape, university of delaware, local/state
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident 55 min ago
- 70s Return This Week 34 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery 37 min ago
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire 40 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia fire 51 min ago
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash 39 min ago
- Camden teen reported missing 18 min ago
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite 16 min ago
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident
55 min ago
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom...
16 min ago
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery
37 min ago
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia...
51 min ago