New claims against priest once cleared of abuse
PHILADELPHIA - September 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Philadelphia priest who was cleared of sexual abuse allegations has been placed on leave because of new allegations.
The Reverend Michael Chapman, 56, is the pastor of Ascension of Our Lord Parish.
He was first accused of abuse back in March, 2011.
The Archdiocese cleared him of any wrongdoing this past May and deemed him suitable to return to his post.
But, before Chapman returned, the Archdiocese said it received several allegations of sexual abuse of minors, which allegedly occurred 30 years ago.
The Archdiocese said it reported the new claims to law enforcement.
Chapman was ordained in 1982 and served at the following parishes, schools, and offices: Saint Bonaventure, Philadelphia (1982-1986); Little Flower High School(1983-1985); Saint Agnes, West Chester (1986-1990); Saint Henry, Philadelphia (1990-1991); Priest Vocation Coordinator for the Hispanic Apostolate (1990-1994); Hispanic MinistryCoordinator for Montgomery County (1991-1992); Saint Veronica, Philadelphia (1994-1999); Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul (1999-2001); Ascension of Our Lord, Philadelphia (2001-2011); placed on administrative leave (2011).
The Archdiocese said anyone who wants report an allegation of sexual abuse can contact local law enforcement agency and/or the Office for Investigations at 1-888-930-9010.
philadelphia, philadelphia archdiocese, child sex assault, local/state
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish