2 charged with arson in haunted house fire
LOWER SOUTHAMPTON, Pa. - September 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- Two men have been charged with arson in connection with a fire that destroyed a haunted house in Bucks County.
Lucas McChesney, 29, and John Tardino, 26, are accused of setting off fireworks that led to the blaze at the Valley of Fear, which sits on the property of the Phoenix Swim Club 301 West Bristol Road in Lower Southampton, back on August 8th.
According to police, McChesney and Tardino were employed to clean the haunted attractions on the property to prepare for the upcoming season.
At one point that afternoon, the two were inside the Treasure Room when they lit a device described by Tardino as a mortal shell, police said. The device was dropped into a treasure chest and exploded.
The explosion caused hanging burlap straps to catch fire. They tried to put the fire out, police said, but were unsuccessful.
Investigators say six employees reported hearing fireworks going off before the fire, as did a police officer who was visiting the Phoenix Swim Club.
Police say they interviewed Tardino on August 14th and, later that day, police say they escorted Tardino back to the scene where he allegedly led them to a wooded area off a hayride trail, where they recovered a green trash bag containing various fireworks.
The fire destroyed the building, equipment, props and animatronics stored from the previous season for a total of approximately $100,000 in damage.
Six firefighters were transported to area hospitals for injuries sustained while fighting the fire. Four were treated and released from Saint Mary Medical Center for heat exhaustion, while one had to be treated for a second degree burn. Another firefighter was transported to Holy Redeemer Hospital after sustaining a broken right fibula.
pennsylvania, bucks county, fire, halloween, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 39 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures from Del. River minivan plunge
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Video: Parents outraged by faked kidnapping
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
39 min ago