Beagle survives jump from Burlington-Bristol Bridge
BURLINGTON, N.J. - September 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- "It's a miracle. It's definitely a miracle."
Alexis Lorenz is talking about the death-defying leap her 7-year-old rescue beagle, Brandi, took Friday night from the Burlington-Bristol Bridge.
Surveillance camera video shows how Brandi, all alone and ears flopping, bolted up the Jersey side of the 2-lane span about 10:15 p.m.
You can see cars swerving to avoid her. Some drivers even stopped to help.
"Two carloads of young kids got out, tried to rescue the dog and the poor dog went over the side of the bridge because it was afraid of the children," said Bridge Commission Police Officer Rob Bittner. "It jumped right over the side of the bridge.
Bridge Commission Police thought Brandi was a goner.
"Poor dog," said Sergeant Ray Warmkessel. "He's going to be dead. Then we went down underneath the bridge and here's the dog walking along the beach. I couldn't believe it."
"She was wet. She was soaking wet," said Lorenz.
Alexis spent hours looking for the beagle, who had squirmed out of her collar and taken off from her husband during a walk earlier that night.
I asked Lorenz if she ever knew her to be a swimmer or a diver. "Never," she said. "I know she's an escape artist, but not anything other than that!"
Amazingly, Brandi did not break any bones after jumping off the 6-story bridge. The dog seems to have landed like a champ, with only a bruised belly to worry about.
Brandi is skittish and fearful of strangers. Her adopted mom can't help but wonder what the beagle was thinking as she ran off that bridge.
"She's in the air, where is this going to end up? Where am I going to land?" said Lorenz.
Alexis says she plans on buying an escape-proof collar for Brandi, who she promises will be in a car the next time she heads over the Burlington-Bristol Bridge.
new jersey, burlington county, animals, local/state, nora muchanic
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall 31 min ago
- Warm and humid, 80s again today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Man gunned down at water ice stand 41 min ago
- Bar fight ends with 2 shot in SW Philadelphia 39 min ago
- Bicyclist shoots man in face in SW Philadelphia 1 min ago
- Man shot in the head in Camden; suspect sought 37 min ago
- Search for Okla. tornado survivors nearly complete
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams
- Local search and rescue team helping in Oklahoma
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Chesco man killed longtime girlfriend, police say
- Sleep monitors promise a better night's sleep
- Man gunned down at water ice stand
41 min ago