Coffee shop owner in hot water over cleaning lot
POINT BREEZE - September 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Philadelphia coffee shop owner is in hot water with the city for what he thought was going to be a good deed for the neighborhood.
Ori Feibush owns the OCF Coffee Shop at 20th and Federal streets in Point Breeze.
An overgrown, unused lot owned by the city had sat next to his café and he claims his repeated attempts to have the city clean it up or sell it to him went nowhere.
So he took the initiative to spruce up the blighted property on his own. Feibush says he spent close to $30,000 replacing sidewalks, removing trash, and adding mulch and benches.
But the city's Office of Housing and Community Development had asked Feibush to stop the work, saying he didn't follow proper protocol and that if someone gets hurt there now, taxpayers will pay the bill in a lawsuit.
Feibush is incredulous.
"I got rid of debris, I cleaned up the lot and they're telling me that I'm the one causing the liability? Not the city of Philadelphia that sat on 14,000 vacant lots for the last 30 to 40 years and done nothing with them?" Feibush said.
A spokesperson also told Action News the city did clean up the lot on August 10th.
He also said the property is publicly owned and the city had several offers to buy and Feibush had no rights to redevelop it without approval.
philadelphia, point breeze, local/state
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5 13 min ago
- Steamy Situation 4 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams
- Local search and rescue team helping in Oklahoma 51 min ago
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc 38 min ago
- Police: 2 caught red-handed in Radnor burlgary 24 min ago
- Box of ammo explodes, injuring man in Del. 42 min ago
- Couple charged in theft of $854K from township
- Prosecutor: Prison can't hold Savage's rage 40 min ago
- NJ ex-priest jailed after working with kids
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- New push to revitalize West Philly's Lancaster Ave. 7 min ago
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5
13 min ago