Teen suspect charged as an adult in SEPTA shooting
PHILADELPHIA - September 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- A 15-year-old boy has been charged in the brazen midday shooting of two students on a crowded SEPTA subway car.
The teen suspect, identified as Darryl Lanier, has been charged as an adult by the Philadelphia District Attorney's Office.
Lanier was arraigned Friday afternoon and bail was set at $2 million.
Police tell Action News that despite his young age, Lanier already has a record. The sophomore was arrested at Upper Darby High School, one day before the SEPTA subway shooting.
On Tuesday, he was charged with marijuana possession and police say the school district suspended him - effective immediately.
On Wednesday, Lanier was not in school and ended up in Philadelphia riding the Broad Street subway line during the afterschool hours.
According to police, around 2:00 p.m., he was involved in a fight that broke out among students onboard the southbound subway.
Police say surveillance video clearly shows that when the subway came to a stop Lanier stepped onto the platform, turned around, and fired into the crowd.
A 17-year-old boy was shot in the arm - he has been released from the hospital. A 14-year-old boy was wounded in the hip. He is still in critical condition.
Lanier later surrendered Thursday, accompanied by his parents.
He now faces a list of charges including Attempted Murder, Aggravated Assault, Simple Assault, Recklessly Endangering Another Person, Burglary, Conspiracy, Criminal Trespass and gun charges. The charges of burglary come as police say Lanier broke into a stranger's home to evade police.
Lanier remains in custody and will face a preliminary hearing on October 5th.
philadelphia, school, shooting, north philadelphia, SEPTA, local/state
- Body found in home of Philadelphia attorney
- Clear, Still Breezy Tonight
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Delco girl still awaiting transplant 18-months later
- 1 dead in I-495 crash in Claymont, Delaware
- 7-year-old critically injured in SW Phila. house fire
- NE Phila. couple stabbed at home, son arrested
- Neighbor rescues woman in West Oak Lane fire
- Amber Alert for Pottsville teen canceled
- San Antonio flooding kills 2; hundreds rescued
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- Knife-wielding man shot, killed in Oxford Circle
- Start to 1st summer after Sandy at NJ shore