Three Mile Island nuclear power plant automatically shuts down
MIDDLETOWN, Pa. (AP) - September 20, 2012 (WPVI) -- A malfunctioning pump caused an automatic shutdown of the Three Mile Island nuclear power plant on Thursday, the second such event in as many months.
Plant officials and government regulators said the shutdown at the plant, where a partial meltdown of a reactor in 1979 is considered the worst commercial nuclear power plant accident in U.S history, posed no threat to public health or safety.
The shutdown occurred shortly after 2:15 p.m. when the failure of a coolant pump tripped the computerized system that shuts downs the reactor in the event of any safety-related problems.
Once the reactor has cooled down enough, plant workers will be able to access the containment building and troubleshoot the problem, Nuclear Regulatory Commission spokesman Neil Sheehan said.
The plant is named after the island where it's located in the Susquehanna River, south of Harrisburg. It automatically shut down on Aug. 22 while operators were manually shutting it down for repairs, said Ralph DeSantis, a spokesman for operator Exelon Generation.
DeSantis said the release of steam Thursday made a loud noise audible to nearby residents but no detectable levels of radiation were released.
Three Mile Island is located about 12 miles south of Harrisburg, Pa. The plant can generate 852 megawatts of carbon free power - enough electricity for about 800,000 homes.
pennsylvania, three mile island, local/state
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd 53 min ago
- Easter Sunshine Sunday 33 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard 39 min ago
- Elderly man struck, killed in Rhawnhurst 53 min ago
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus 53 min ago
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off 53 min ago
- Crimefighters: Reward in Camden drive-thru murder 36 min ago
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean ferry 52 min ago
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire 53 min ago
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
53 min ago
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search...
53 min ago
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean...
52 min ago
- Easter Sunshine Sunday
33 min ago