Three Mile Island nuclear power plant automatically shuts down
MIDDLETOWN, Pa. (AP) - September 20, 2012 (WPVI) -- A malfunctioning pump caused an automatic shutdown of the Three Mile Island nuclear power plant on Thursday, the second such event in as many months.
Plant officials and government regulators said the shutdown at the plant, where a partial meltdown of a reactor in 1979 is considered the worst commercial nuclear power plant accident in U.S history, posed no threat to public health or safety.
The shutdown occurred shortly after 2:15 p.m. when the failure of a coolant pump tripped the computerized system that shuts downs the reactor in the event of any safety-related problems.
Once the reactor has cooled down enough, plant workers will be able to access the containment building and troubleshoot the problem, Nuclear Regulatory Commission spokesman Neil Sheehan said.
The plant is named after the island where it's located in the Susquehanna River, south of Harrisburg. It automatically shut down on Aug. 22 while operators were manually shutting it down for repairs, said Ralph DeSantis, a spokesman for operator Exelon Generation.
DeSantis said the release of steam Thursday made a loud noise audible to nearby residents but no detectable levels of radiation were released.
Three Mile Island is located about 12 miles south of Harrisburg, Pa. The plant can generate 852 megawatts of carbon free power - enough electricity for about 800,000 homes.
pennsylvania, three mile island, local/state
- Faith-healing couple held without bail 44 min ago
- Lots of clouds, damp and cool today 30 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer 47 min ago
- Video: Time lapse of Seaside Heights boardwalk...
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load 40 min ago
- AC casino manager charged with promoting prostitution
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days 42 min ago
- Woman convicted in fiance's wedding day death
- Firing of school official in dog waste incident overturned
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- Runways reopen after emergency at Heathrow Airport 38 min ago
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy...
47 min ago
- Faith-healing couple held without bail
44 min ago
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days
42 min ago
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by...
40 min ago