Annual Four Seasons Parkway Run and Walk
PHILADELPHIA - September 25, 2012 (WPVI) -- The last Sunday in September means the annual Parkway Run, a partnership of Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and the Four Seasons Hotel.
In the last 14 years, the event has raised more than $4 million for C.H.O.P., and 8,000 participants are expected to run or walk this year.
Registration opens Sunday at 7:30 on-site at the Four Seasons Hotel. A 5K run will begin at 8:30, followed by a fun walk for families...even their pets.
After the events, around 9:00am, all participants are treated to breakfast compliments of the Four Seasons.
The kitchen staff stays up all night making sausage and scrambled eggs enough to fee the crowd...easily the hotel's biggest meal of the year. Many participants enter as teams. The Chapman family of Langhorne, Pa., lost daughter Leah to cancer in 2008.
This year their Team Chappy will have 180 relatives and friends out on the Parkway, hoping to raise $20,000 for the cause. But you need not be on a team to participate or donate.
If you visit the event's website, Four Seasons Parkway Run and Walk, you'll find complete details of the event, plus an opportunity to register and donate.
The Parkway Run is the local version of a corporation-wide commitment the Four Seasons has made to fight cancer. Based in Canada, the company first got in memory of Canadian runner Terry Fox, who lost a leg and then his life to cancer.
Every Four Seasons worldwide has some annual event raising money for cancer research and treatment. Here in Philadelphia, the Parkway Run is their signature event, but employees give time and money to the cause year-round.
Every payday, some group within the staff does something to raise money. The spa may give staffers massages in exchange for conations. The bellmen might shine shoes. Each year, these in-house events raise some $20,000 for the cause.
There's still time for you to be part of this year's Parkway Run, and you'll find all details on the official website
childrens hospital of philadelphia, cancer, philadelphia, local/state
- Former Philadelphia hero cop faces rape charges 41 min ago
- Shower In Spots
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make belly landing
- Child falls from 2-story window in Point Breeze
- Witnesses: Car drives into crowd at Virginia parade
- Man found shot and killed in Wynnefield
- FBI searches apartment in ricin letter case
- Suspect identified in fatal Hofstra home invasion
- Mother of 7-year-old hit-and-run victim speaks
- 1 winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Police: Boy, 6, kicked by pony on Lancaster Co. farm dies
- Connecticut commuter trains collide; 70 hospitalized
- Former Philadelphia hero cop faces rape...
41 min ago