21 dogs rescued in illegal breeding operation in Mayfair
MAYFAIR - September 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Pennsylvania SPCA rescued more than 20 animals in a case of illegal dog breeding in Mayfair.
It happened Thursday on the 4300 block of Benner Street.
Officials say the owners - 27-year-old Daniel Carlin and 34-year-old Kristie Mitchell - were cited with 42 counts of animal cruelty.
The 21 dogs rescued consisted of various breeds and 11 of them were puppies. Several of the dogs were also found sick.
This isn't the first time Mitchell has had a run in with the SPCA. In 2009 she pled no contest to similar charges and most recently in 2010, she pled guilty to animal cruelty.
All the dogs are expected to recover and were handed over to the Pennsylvania SPCA where they will undergo evaluation and treatment.
The animals will then be placed with rescue organizations to recuperate and eventually find new homes.
philadelphia, mayfair, animals, local/state
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected 8 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in New Castle Co. 48 min ago
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Upper Darby's Chitwood reflects on career
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected
8 min ago
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in New Castle...
48 min ago
- Grinch slashes holiday decorations
54 min ago