21 dogs rescued in illegal breeding operation in Mayfair
MAYFAIR - September 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Pennsylvania SPCA rescued more than 20 animals in a case of illegal dog breeding in Mayfair.
It happened Thursday on the 4300 block of Benner Street.
Officials say the owners - 27-year-old Daniel Carlin and 34-year-old Kristie Mitchell - were cited with 42 counts of animal cruelty.
The 21 dogs rescued consisted of various breeds and 11 of them were puppies. Several of the dogs were also found sick.
This isn't the first time Mitchell has had a run in with the SPCA. In 2009 she pled no contest to similar charges and most recently in 2010, she pled guilty to animal cruelty.
All the dogs are expected to recover and were handed over to the Pennsylvania SPCA where they will undergo evaluation and treatment.
The animals will then be placed with rescue organizations to recuperate and eventually find new homes.
philadelphia, mayfair, animals, local/state
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain 3 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
3 min ago