Police search for driver in Olney hit and run
Saturday, September 22, 2012
PHILADELPHIA - September 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia Police are trying to track down a hit and run driver Friday night.The motorist fled the scene after striking a pedestrian Thursday at 10th and Godfrey in Olney. The victim remains in critical condition at Einstein Medical Center.
"Someone ran her over and left her for dead, now she's in Einstein fighting for her life," said Roslyn Williams. Roslyn Williams' 28-year-old daughter Freda Mitchell was hit by a van Thursday evening while police say she was crossing the street at 10th and Godfrey Avenue. "She has tubes down her throat; something helping her breathe," said Sharonn Mitchell. The mother of two, including a seven month old baby, suffered several broken bones and a damaged lung. She remains in critical condition. "What are we going to do with the kids? She was a stay at home mom, so I worked two jobs," said Mitchell. Anger, sadness and frustration from husband Sharonn Mitchell who tells us the hit and run accident happened right across from the couples Fern Rock home. "She was just going across the street to buy a bag of chips," he said. Surveillance video from inside the Bodega captured Freda buying snacks around 5:45 p.m. She then walked outside and her life changed. Police say the driver of a bright green minivan, possibly a Ford Windstar or Chrysler Town and Country, flew up the road and nailed the young woman who was trying to get back home to her kids. "Please turn yourself in," Roslyn pleaded. Freda's family says they want the driver of the van caught and justice served as they wait and watch their loved one fight for her life in a hospital bed. "I don't care if you don't have a license; I don't care if you don't have insurance, that's my daughter; that's my child, and she didn't deserve that," said Roslyn.
(Copyright ©2014 WPVI-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
hit and run, olney, philadelphia, local/state, jennifer joyce
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire 9 min ago
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos