Pa. crossing guard accused of being drunk on the job
SHARPSBURG, Pa. - September 22, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Pennsylvania school crossing guard is accused of walking children across a street while she was drunk.
Witnesses in the borough of Sharpsburg say 51-year-old Patricia Gross appeared to be intoxicated on the job so they called police.
Officers say they later found Gross passed out on a porch, allegedly with a bottle of Vodka next to her.
Parents and area residents were equally surprised by the news.
"Kind of shocked like wow! I can't believe that she would do that while she's responsible for other people's children," said Tracy Kelly.
"I think it's a shame. She's a nice lady but how can you watch kids and be drinking at the same time," said Nikki Stock.
Gross is due in court next week to face charges, including endangering the welfare of children.
She is also expected to be fired from her crossing guard job.
- Police shoot man in Brewerytown
- Spotty, Drenching Downpours
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- I-5 bridge collapses in Washington
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
- Woman convicted in fiance's wedding day death
- Armed robber steals $800 from Northeast Philadelphia bank
- 8 charged in $14M drug operation in SE Pa.
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- Chase Utley out 2-4 weeks with oblique strain
- Obama to tour Jersey Shore with Gov. Christie
- Ohio kidnap case hero gets year of free McDonald's