Hero Thrill Show takes center stage in Phila.
Sunday, September 23, 2012
PHILADELPHIA - September 22, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police and firefighters showcased their grace under pressure under different circumstances Saturday.Hundreds of spectators were treated to the intricate maneuvers of the Philadelphia Motorcycle Drill Team during the 58th Annual Hero Thrill Show. But before the Harleys took to the parking lot of the sports complex, police, firefighters and the crowd paid tribute to officers who've died in the past year while serving our community.
The thrill show raises money for college scholarships for the children of police officers and firefighters who lost their lives in the line of duty. And this week, the Thrill Show board amended their rules to include the children of Plymouth Township Officer Brad Fox. "Wherever they want to go, she's going to do just what our other mothers and fathers behind us do, send us the tuition bill and it will be paid," Thrill Show President James Binns told the crowd. In addition, a banner was unfurled paying tribute to Highway Patrolman Brian Lorenzo. He was a drill team instructor who was killed by an alleged drunk driver in July. Watching the show was clearly difficult for Officer Lorenzo's family members, but for the families of other fallen officers, whose deaths weren't so recent, the event was a show of support. And the scholarships generated from the show are a true blessing. Officer John Maryanowicz was paralyzed after being shot in 1993. His son Joseph is now studying accounting at Holy Family University. "It's just an incredible showing to see all of these people every year come out to show their support for police and fire," said Joseph Maryanowicz. Judy Cassidy's husband, Officer Chuck Cassidy was killed in 2007. "What you go through and to have to think about supporting your children through college, this is such a great help," said Judy.
(Copyright ©2013 WPVI-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
philadelphia police, hero thrill show, philadelphia, local/state, amy buckman
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students 43 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's 43 min ago
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty 50 min ago
- Person injured in incident on train tracks in Center City 18 min ago
- Police in standoff at home in Uwchlan Twp. 1 min ago
- NJ Transit bus crashes into building, 9 injured 5 min ago
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Security breach affected all cards, not...
43 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos