Phila. Fire Dept. introduces free fire safety app
PHILADELPHIA - September 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- Action News is proud to be the very first news station to unveil an exciting development out of the Philadelphia Fire Department. It puts fire safety and various other tools right at your fingertips.Thursday the Philadelphia Fire Department will officially launch its brand new fire safety app. But we are giving you an exclusive first look right now. This new fire safety app is THE place for all of your emergency information. The focus is empowering you.
"We concentrate on community risk reduction and one of the most important things that you can do to reduce that risk in the community is start with yourself," says Philadelphia Fire Commissioner Lloyd Ayers. With just one click you can sign up for a smoke detector installation, learn how to make a home escape plan, or find tips on protecting your family in the event of a natural disaster. On top of that, there are listings for city hospitals, fire houses and even a link to the newly launched Red Cross app. The goal was to keep it simple and user friendly. And for those who are interested, there is even a link to listen to a live stream of Philadelphia's fire radio. At the core of the app's development are two Drexel University seniors who say its creation was really a team effort. "We got feedback from the fire department and continued to just go back and forth. We were able to put in some of our creativity and some of what they wanted so we could meet their needs," said Darielle Brown-Davis. The app is free and web-based so it can work on multiple smart phone and tablet platforms.
fire, philadelphia, local/state, adam joseph
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days 13 min ago
- Lots of clouds, damp today 48 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- 3 injured in Coatesville industrial accident 30 min ago
- Chesco man accused of sex assault on 2 young boys
- I-5 bridge collapses into Washington river 20 min ago
- Employee injured, suspect wanted in Hatfield robbery 28 min ago
- Woman convicted in fiance's wedding day death
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
- 8 charged in $14M drug operation in SE Pa.
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- Chase Utley out 2-4 weeks with oblique strain
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days
13 min ago
- 3 injured in Coatesville industrial accident
30 min ago
- Employee injured, suspect wanted in...
28 min ago
- I-5 bridge collapses into Washington river
20 min ago