Flight attendant's gun goes off at Philadelphia Int'l Airport
PHILADELPHIA INT'L AIRPORT - September 23, 2012 (WPVI) -- It appears it was an unintentional act, but police say a handgun found inside the bag of a flight attendant at Philadelphia International Airport turned into a big deal on Sunday morning.
Action News has confirmed Republic Airlines flight attendant Jaclyn Luby was carrying a .38 caliber Smith & Wesson revolver in her carry-on bag.
She was making her way through security in Terminal C around 6:30 a.m. Sunday to work a flight to Denver when TSA spotted the weapon in the X-ray machine.
"Why would a flight attendant bring a gun, why would she carry a gun, I don't know," US Airways passenger Devrim Eren said.
Republic Airlines operates flights for US Airways which told Action News Luby was immediately taken into another room.
A Philadelphia police officer was trying to unload the .38 when it accidentally fired a round into the wall.
Investigators say Luby said she forgot the gun was in her bag.
"You would expect she would be more vigilant about the fact she travels so much that it should be second nature to her to basically check it out and check her bags out before coming to the airport," traveler Brian Saldanha said.
Investigators say Luby, who is from West Goshen Township, Chester County, had a valid concealed weapons permit.
She was charged with a summary offense of disorderly conduct and released.
We've learned Luby has been a flight attendant for Republic Airlines for more than five years.
"We are human and everybody does make mistakes and I understand that even though she's a seasoned veteran she needs to be careful and I'm sure it will be a great learning opportunity for her," US Airways passenger Andrea Burger said.
Republic Airlines couldn't be reached for comment.
No one was injured when the gun went off, but Philadelphia police will launch an internal affairs investigation over the handling of that gun by their officer.
philadelphia, philadelphia international airport, guns, local/state
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Breezy And Mild! 21 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly 23 min ago
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Phila. Police search for suspect in Rite Aid robbery
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Breezy And Mild!
21 min ago
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
23 min ago