N.J. gay couple suing over photo in campaign mailer
DENVER (AP) - September 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- A gay couple from New Jersey are suing a group that used their engagement photo in an attack mailer against a Republican Colorado state lawmaker who supported civil unions this year.
The couple and their attorneys plan to talk about the lawsuit Wednesday morning outside federal court in Denver.
The Southern Poverty Law Center is filing the lawsuit on behalf of the couple against the Virginia-based Public Advocate of the United States. The photo shows the couple holding hands and kissing with a New York City skyline as a backdrop.
The photo was used in mailers in a June primary election involving Sen. Jean White, one of a handful of Republicans who supported a civil union bill that was blocked in the state House. White lost the primary.
homosexuality, lawsuit, new jersey, local/state
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder 32 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain 8 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip 13 min ago
- 2 NJ men sentenced for bogus 9/11 charity 4 min ago
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim 15 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila. 34 min ago
- Woman's body found between parked cars in West Philadelphia 30 min ago
- Doors smashed in 2 Prices Corner store burglaries
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
8 min ago
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
15 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N....
34 min ago