Police: NJ man sent threats over Facebook
HAMILTON TWP., N.J. - September 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- State police say a southern New Jersey man has admitted sending Facebook messages to several women and teenage girls that stated they only had weeks to live, so they should spend their time wisely.
Twenty-year-old Craig Wyatt Jr. of Hamilton Township now faces multiple counts of terroristic threats, theft of services and harassment, and several municipal police departments also plan to file charges against him. He was being held Wednesday on $35,000 bail, and it was not known if he has retained an attorney.
Investigators say Wyatt admitted using several Facebook accounts, email addresses and phone numbers to send the threatening messages. He did not know most of the victims, who ranged in age from young teens to women in their mid-20s, and it's not clear why he sent he messages.
Authorities say the investigation started in July, when the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children told state police about a threat sent to a Browns Mills youth.
The following month, Voorhees police asked state police for help in investigating alleged Facebook threats against four juveniles in their community. The investigation then quickly grew after officials sent a bulletin to all law enforcement agencies in the state, asking if they knew of any other victims.
new jersey, atlantic county, facebook, local/state
- Mourning NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide 38 min ago
- Stormy to spectacular
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Paraplegic man castrated in SW Phila. attack 21 min ago
- Storms bring floods to the Jersey shore 50 min ago
- Video: Incredible footage of wrong-way bus crash
- Police: Girl used in theft at Phila. nail salon
- Tire dumping probe targets Wilmington shop
- Teacher charged again for indecent exposure
- Construction worker killed on way to job
- US: Unruly traveler had worked at State Department
- $325,000 Cash 5 ticket sold in Philadelphia
- Phillies activate Carlos Ruiz from disabled list
- Mourning NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide
38 min ago
- Lindenwold school bus crash caught on camera
31 min ago