Deadly double shooting in West Philadelphia
Thursday, September 27, 2012
WEST PHILADELPHIA - September 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police are investigating a deadly double shooting in West Philadelphia.
It happened at 3:00 p.m. Wednesday at Cobbs Creek Parkway and Cedar Avenue in front of St. Cyprian Roman Catholic Church.One of the shooting victims was killed; the other is being treated at Mercy Hospital Wednesday night.
Investigators say it seems that two cars were passing each other, when at least one person from each vehicle pulled out a gun and opened fire. The driver of one car was injured, but still managed to drive about two blocks down the road before ramming into a guard-rail. Chenise Mason was walking nearby and heard the eruption of gunfire. "I walk here every, and I work around the area, and I've never heard gunshots that close to home before. So it was very scary for me," she said. The 23-year-old victim was shot in the chest and arms. He was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania where he died a short time later. A second victim, a 21-year-old man, was shot in the arm and remains in stable condition at Mercy Hospital. Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey says the fact that this shoot-out occurred in front of a church, and within a few blocks of a day-care center, a school, and a popular park makes the case that much more alarming. "It just highlights the violence and the fact that it is a crime of opportunity. Whenever they see an individual and they want to shoot them, they will start shooting, and they don't care who is around," said Commissioner Ramsey. Chenise Mason couldn't agree more. "I've lived here my whole life," she said. "My grandparents bought this house in the 1950s and it's a pretty safe neighborhood. We have a playground here, a school here, tennis courts. Children are always outside on any given day, especially this time of day, there are always kids outside. Someone could have been shot." Investigators are seeking witnesses and surveillance video. Anyone with information is urged to call Philadelphia Police.
(Copyright ©2013 WPVI-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
philadelphia, shooting, west philadelphia, homicide, local/state
- Bicyclist impaled on fence in Fairmount Park 56 min ago
- Another Beauty
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Actor James Gandolfini dies in Italy at age 51 3 min ago
- Shots fired at man sitting on steps in Point Breeze
- Water main break buckles road in South Philly
- Villanova lockdown over, all suspects in custody
- Boy, 6, hit by car in East Oak Lane
- Photos: Pictures of bear sightings in the area
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila.
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- Video: Phila. choir shares stage with Rolling Stones
- Actor James Gandolfini dies in Italy at age...
3 min ago
- Bicyclist impaled on fence in Fairmount Park
56 min ago
6abc.com News Links