Police chase ends in arrest at Penn's Landing in Philadelphia
PENN'S LANDING - September 27, 2012 (WPVI) -- A police pursuit that damaged two police cruisers and several civilian cars ended in an arrest on Penn's Landing in Philadelphia.
It all came to a head at Columbus Boulevard and Lombard Street around 2:00 p.m. Thursday when a green Ford van crashed into a pair of pursuing police cars.
The driver, trapped by surrounding traffic, was finally out of options. He was quickly arrested.
Witness John Stroup told Action News, "He tried to get away. There was a civilian car in front of him. He rammed him, and when he did that the cops jumped into the van and forced him out, got him to the ground."
Police say it began a short time earlier, north of Penn's Landing. Officers saw the vehicle being driven recklessly at Tulip and Venango Streets in Kensington and began what became a relatively low-speed pursuit.
The driver hopped on I-95 southbound trying to shake the cops, who by now were following in growing numbers.
The driver got off at Columbus and Lombard and headed north, hitting several civilian cars in addition to the police vehicles. Finally he was cornered.
Soon to be charged with DUI, he suffered some facial trauma, police say. No one else was injured.
"Right now, he's at the hospital under suspicion of DUI," said Philadelphia Police Lieutenant Jonathan Josey, adding that the investigation was still in its preliminary stages.
The suspect's name has not been released.
philadelphia, police chase, local/state
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target 47 min ago
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery 14 min ago
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Impact of Sunoco HQ, Citibank leaving Philly
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Police search for suspects in religious...
14 min ago