Puppy stolen from Montco store returned (PHOTOS)
CONSHOHOCKEN, Pa. - September 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police say a puppy stolen from a store in Montgomery County has been returned, but the man who swiped the pooch remains at large.
Authorities told Action News on Friday morning that the puppy was returned to Playful Pets at 115 Ridge Pike in Conshohocken at 7:30 p.m. Thursday.
Police say a man dropped the puppy off then fled the store on foot. Investigators believe it is the same man who stole the dog.
The dog is supposed to be receiving medication for a blood sugar problem and had not received the medication since the theft.
The puppy theft was caught on surveillance video, which was released by police on Thursday.
In the video a male and female suspect can be seen entering Playful Pets back on Tuesday.
The woman distracted the clerk while the man nabbed "Marissa," a 9-week-old tan and black Maltese and Yorkshire mixed puppy, valued at $960, from the puppy bin. He then placed the dog underneath his sweatshirt and exited the store with the female.
"I bent down to pick up the puppies and she was gone and I knew it was them," store employee Bethann Neuschwander said.
The clear surveillance footage isn't the only thing helping police. The alleged accomplice spilled too much info while distracting employees.
"When they first walked in they were really sweet and she mentioned she had bought a dog from us before," Neuschwander said.
She stated she bought a husky.
Luckily, owner Sam Mintz keeps records; they supplied police with names and addresses.
This is the fourth puppy snatched from the store in over a year.
Three of the cases have been solved; police say none of them are connected.
Mintz makes it obvious cameras are rolling on customers with signs posted throughout the store.
He can even watch the store surveillance video live at his house.
"Very frustrated, we keep an eye, we keep cameras constantly on, people are watching them, but a thief is a thief," Mintz said.
Both suspects entered an older model white cargo van, which had been parked in one of the angled parking spots directly in front of the store, police say.
Police have identified the female suspect, but the man's identity is still unknown.
Anyone knowing the identity of the male suspect or similar incidents is requested to contact Detective Andrew Moretti at 610-279-1901 or email@example.com.
6at4, montgomery county, pennsylvania, animals, theft, local/state
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila. 1 min ago
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings 34 min ago
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home 57 min ago
- Purse snatcher caught on camera in Montco 45 min ago
- Couple files suit over Lower Twp. blast
- Man robbed at gunpoint in North Philadelphia
- Derailed train car blocks road in South Coatesville
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor 24 min ago
- Arrest in deadly June shooting in West Philadelphia
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del. 58 min ago
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large