Deadly truck accident in Trainer, Delaware County
TRAINER, Pa. - September 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police in Delaware County say the driver who ran over and killed a senior citizen outside his home Friday night was drunk.
It happened in Trainer's Parkview Mobile Home Park just after 7:00 p.m.
Police say 73-year old William Star was sitting with friends when a utility truck slammed into his lawn chair pinning him underneath his home.
"They were sitting out front of the trailer then boom; he got in the truck and gave it some gas," said one witness.
People who live in the neighborhood were shocked at saddened that their neighbor lost his life this way.
"It's terrible," said Michele Merdian. "He was an awesome guy, a very nice person. It's sad, very sad. He never bothered a soul."
The driver of that truck, 46-year old Edward Shaw, fled the scene.
He was arrested within the hour.
Shaw now faces a number of charges including third degree murder and DUI.
He is being held on a half million dollars bail.
accident, delaware county, pennsylvania, local/state, jennifer joyce
- Body found in home of Philadelphia attorney 45 min ago
- Clear, Still Breezy Tonight
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- 1 dead in I-495 crash in Claymont, Delaware
- 7-year-old critically injured in SW Phila. house fire
- NE Phila. couple stabbed at home, son arrested
- Woman hospitalized in West Oak Lane fire
- Amber Alert for Pottsville teen canceled
- Knife-wielding man shot, killed in Oxford Circle
- Philadelphia man arrested for firing shots at police
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- Angel Flight crashes in NY, 2 killed, 1 missing
- Start to 1st summer after Sandy at NJ shore 18 min ago
- Body found in home of Philadelphia attorney
45 min ago