Deadly truck accident in Trainer, Delaware County
TRAINER, Pa. - September 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police in Delaware County say the driver who ran over and killed a senior citizen outside his home Friday night was drunk.
It happened in Trainer's Parkview Mobile Home Park just after 7:00 p.m.
Police say 73-year old William Star was sitting with friends when a utility truck slammed into his lawn chair pinning him underneath his home.
"They were sitting out front of the trailer then boom; he got in the truck and gave it some gas," said one witness.
People who live in the neighborhood were shocked at saddened that their neighbor lost his life this way.
"It's terrible," said Michele Merdian. "He was an awesome guy, a very nice person. It's sad, very sad. He never bothered a soul."
The driver of that truck, 46-year old Edward Shaw, fled the scene.
He was arrested within the hour.
Shaw now faces a number of charges including third degree murder and DUI.
He is being held on a half million dollars bail.
accident, delaware county, pennsylvania, local/state, jennifer joyce
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting 40 min ago
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- Penn State student dies in jump from garage
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ