Funeral set for Del. teen firefighter killed in crash
SELBYVILLE, Del. - September 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- Funeral arrangements are in place for a teenage firefighter killed in the line of duty in Delaware.
WDEL-AM reports that a viewing for 17-year-old Justin Townsend of Dagsboro will be held Friday, October 5th from 5:00-7:00 p.m. at the Dagsboro Volunteer Fire Department.
A funeral is planned for Saturday, October 6th from 11:00-1:00 p.m. in the Indian River High School auditorium.
Townsend was killed in a crash Thursday afternoon north of Selbyville. At the time of his death he was responding to the fire station for an alarm.
Investigators say Townsend was a passenger in a pickup truck and that the truck spun on a curve, struck a pole and overturned. Townsend was pronounced dead at the scene.
He is the first volunteer firefighter to die in the line of duty in the department's 69-year history.
Information from: WDEL-AM
accident, teens, delaware, local/state
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody 32 min ago
- AccuWeather: Very warm today, very cold tonight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar 41 min ago
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak Lane 48 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Couple attacked by cat say they'll get it help
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
41 min ago
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak...
48 min ago
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
32 min ago