Police: 10-year-old boy steals van, crashes (PHOTOS)
WEST PHILADELPHIA - September 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police say a 10-year-old boy stole a van, got behind the wheel, and crashed into several other vehicles in West Philadelphia.
Police say at approximately 12:57 p.m. the owner of a 2001 Ford truck parked his vehicle while he unloaded furniture from an apartment on the 6200 block of Market Street.
This is when, police say, the 10-year-old boy removed the keys from the rear door of the truck and stole the vehicle.
The boy drove the truck to the unit block of 62nd Street, striking five parked vehicles.
The incident happened right near West Philly Produce.
Store owner Arnett Woodall's security camera captured it all while he watched through a window.
"Looking out the window saw a white van coming around the corner and it was just hitting everything as it was coming up the street. Once it hit the last car and stopped, seen the little guy jump out the car and run off," Woodall said.
One of the cars struck by the boy belonged to Raydean Musier.
"I heard a bang and I came out. I was like, 'Oh my God. What's going on?' Then I looked out and I seen the van was on the other car. I didn't know my car was hit until I came out and looked at my car," Musier said.
The 10-year-old boy was detained by neighbors and was unhurt in the crash.
He sat for over an hour at a table while police and car owners sorted out the details.
"He seemed very scared like 'I made a mistake.' He was more disorientated than anything," neighbor Sherri Mitchell said.
Why would a 10-year-old boy steal a van? Witneses at the scene say the child offered a disturbing explanation.
"He said his mom has him stealing, him and his nephew stealing things to support a drug habit. That was the story," Woodall said.
The 10-year-old boy has been charged with juvenile counts of criminal mischief, receiving stolen property and unauthorized use of an automobile.
philadelphia, west philadelphia, accident, local/state
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Wet to Wintry!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Driver loses control, hits parked SUV in South Philly 10 min ago
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos