Police: 10-year-old boy steals van, crashes (PHOTOS)
WEST PHILADELPHIA - September 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police say a 10-year-old boy stole a van, got behind the wheel, and crashed into several other vehicles in West Philadelphia.
Police say at approximately 12:57 p.m. the owner of a 2001 Ford truck parked his vehicle while he unloaded furniture from an apartment on the 6200 block of Market Street.
This is when, police say, the 10-year-old boy removed the keys from the rear door of the truck and stole the vehicle.
The boy drove the truck to the unit block of 62nd Street, striking five parked vehicles.
The incident happened right near West Philly Produce.
Store owner Arnett Woodall's security camera captured it all while he watched through a window.
"Looking out the window saw a white van coming around the corner and it was just hitting everything as it was coming up the street. Once it hit the last car and stopped, seen the little guy jump out the car and run off," Woodall said.
One of the cars struck by the boy belonged to Raydean Musier.
"I heard a bang and I came out. I was like, 'Oh my God. What's going on?' Then I looked out and I seen the van was on the other car. I didn't know my car was hit until I came out and looked at my car," Musier said.
The 10-year-old boy was detained by neighbors and was unhurt in the crash.
He sat for over an hour at a table while police and car owners sorted out the details.
"He seemed very scared like 'I made a mistake.' He was more disorientated than anything," neighbor Sherri Mitchell said.
Why would a 10-year-old boy steal a van? Witneses at the scene say the child offered a disturbing explanation.
"He said his mom has him stealing, him and his nephew stealing things to support a drug habit. That was the story," Woodall said.
The 10-year-old boy has been charged with juvenile counts of criminal mischief, receiving stolen property and unauthorized use of an automobile.
philadelphia, west philadelphia, accident, local/state
- 2 dead after truck and car collide in Mercer County 30 min ago
- Very cold today, Saturday storm 24 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Suspicious package found outside Planet Fitness in Olney 4 min ago
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion
- Worker shocked by electrical cable in East Falls
- Bandit holds up TD Bank in Chestnut Hill
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Video: Cover Story: Can Foles break jinx?
- 2 dead after truck and car collide in...
30 min ago