Suspicious fires at 2 Folcroft homes
FOLCROFT, Pa. - October 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- Fire officials say someone may have set two fires in less than an hour in the same Delaware County neighborhood.
The flames spread to several houses, with people inside. The Red Cross is assisting a total of eleven people from three families who have been displaced by these fires.
Resident Paul Marschner explains, "I looked out the back and saw flames coming from my neighbor's car."
Marschner then quickly dialed 9-1-1 around 12:30 a.m. as he watched the fire spread from the car to the deck, then the home next door on the 900 block of Delview Drive in Folcroft.
The woman who lives at the home tells Action News that she was on her way home from the Eagles game at the time, but that her daughter, her 3-year-old granddaughter and her daughter's boyfriend were inside the home and preparing to go to sleep when the fire started.
Luckily, all three were able to make it out of the house safely after neighbors pounded on the door to rouse them.
The flames seemed to start from under the deck area - burning up their car and spreading to the home. The house next door was also damaged.
Then about a half hour later a second fire broke out just two blocks away, on the 700 block of Taylor Drive.
Again, the fire was located in the deck area around the car. The flames then stretched to the house.
The male resident there managed to get out safely.
A neighbor, who is a former Tinicum Township firefighter, grabbed his garden hose in an attempt to contain the blaze and prevent it from spreading to nearby power lines and throughout the row homes on Delview Drive.
Neighbor Mike Rubillo tells Action News, "In fact, I watched [flames] going up, up toward the power lines, the PE lines, and luckily they hit it with water real fast and restored power throughout the sector of homes here in this neighborhood."
The charred cars have been removed from the scene so that investigators can scour them for evidence. Action News has also learned that there may be surveillance video from a nearby home on Taylor Drive. However, there is no word on what that shows.
The Pennsylvania State Police have been called in to assist with this investigation. The fire marshal is also investigating.
Police say they have no suspects or leads at this time as the investigation continues.
delaware county, pennsylvania, fire, local/state
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students 44 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's 44 min ago
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty 51 min ago
- Person injured in incident on train tracks in Center City 19 min ago
- Police in standoff at home in Uwchlan Twp. 2 min ago
- NJ Transit bus crashes into building, 9 injured 6 min ago
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Security breach affected all cards, not...
44 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos