Police: Pa. man, 76, kills grandson, 19
RENFREW, Pa. - October 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- A western Pennsylvania man is behind bars after police say he fatally shot his 19-year-old grandson inside the home they shared.
Police haven't said what sparked the argument that led to the shooting death of Austin Riddell in Connoquenessing Township, Butler County on Friday.
State police say Riddell's 76-year-old grandfather, Larry Karnes, shot Riddell in the chest with a .22-caliber rifle. Butler County Deputy Coroner Denny Trzeciak says Riddell was a large man and he found it unusual he was killed by a single wound of a small-caliber firearm.
The cause of Riddell's death is pending the results of toxicology tests.
Karnes is charged with criminal homicide. It's not clear if he has an attorney.
pennsylvania, homicide, shooting, local/state
- Multi-alarm fire at NJ apartment complex 35 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Tuesday's storm
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Police: Pedestrian struck and killed in Bordentown, N.J. 55 min ago
- Driver loses control, hits parked SUV in South Philly
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
- Police: Pedestrian struck and killed in...
55 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos