Police: Pa. man, 76, kills grandson, 19
RENFREW, Pa. - October 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- A western Pennsylvania man is behind bars after police say he fatally shot his 19-year-old grandson inside the home they shared.
Police haven't said what sparked the argument that led to the shooting death of Austin Riddell in Connoquenessing Township, Butler County on Friday.
State police say Riddell's 76-year-old grandfather, Larry Karnes, shot Riddell in the chest with a .22-caliber rifle. Butler County Deputy Coroner Denny Trzeciak says Riddell was a large man and he found it unusual he was killed by a single wound of a small-caliber firearm.
The cause of Riddell's death is pending the results of toxicology tests.
Karnes is charged with criminal homicide. It's not clear if he has an attorney.
pennsylvania, homicide, shooting, local/state
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped 2 girls 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City 37 min ago
- Skippack student hospitalized with meningitis infection 52 min ago
- Phila. cop charged with false imprisonment
- Photos: Pictures from East Harlem explosion 37 min ago
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home 6 min ago
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office 32 min ago
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Skippack student hospitalized with...
52 min ago