Police: Man with 7th DUI blamed elephant for crash
NEWPORT, Del. - October 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- A man from New Castle County, Delaware is facing his 7th DUI charge after, police say, he claimed to have crashed while trying to avoid an elephant.
Samuel Phipps, 31, of New Castle, was arrested after the wreck on Interstate 295 southbound near Route 141 in Newport.
Investigators say Phipps was driving his Land Rover off the left side of the roadway and hit the guardrail.
State troopers responded and found Phipps, who appeared to be impaired.
According to police, Phipps told them he had smoked marijuana and "dipped" into PCP before driving.
Phipps also allegedly told the driver that he had swerved to avoid an elephant he saw running in front of his vehicle.
Phipps was charged with Driving a Vehicle Under the Influence of a Drug. Police say he had six previous charges for the same offense.
Phipps was ordered to be held on $21,000 secured bond.
delaware, new castle county, DUI, accident, drugs, local/state
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges 6 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say 18 min ago
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting 43 min ago
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Photo released of anti-Semetic vandalism suspect 32 min ago
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Video: Video gamer is the victim of SWATting hoax
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting
43 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos