Rabid skunk captured in Camden County
WINSLOW TWP., N.J. - October 2, 2012 (WPVI) -- Officials say a skunk captured in Camden County has been tested positive for rabies.
On September 26th, officials say a Winslow Township resident found her dog and a skunk fighting on her property.
The homeowner captured the skunk and then animal control officers picked it up for rabies testing.
The dog, which officials say is up to date with its rabies vaccination, is being treated by a veterinarian.
On Tuesday, the Camden County Health Department was notified by the New Jersey Department of Health that the skunk was rabid.
There are no known human exposures to this skunk.
"Although rabies is a serious illness, it can be prevented by early treatment," Freeholder Carmen Rodriguez, liaison to the Camden County Health Department, said in a statement. "If you have been bitten or scratched by a wild animal it is important that you seek immediate medical attention."
Rodriguez urged county residents protect themselves, their families, and their pets from rabies by observing a few rules:
Residents may call the Camden County Department of Health and Human Services at 856-374-6370.
More Information: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/rabies/
new jersey, camden county, animals, local/state
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Easter Sunshine Sunday 53 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 10 more bodies found inside South Korean ferry 2 min ago
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire 7 min ago
- It's a boy - again for Jamie Apody! 54 min ago
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing
- Woman's body found in Berks County
- Prescription drug ring busted at Aria-Torresdale Hospital
- NJ woman: Dog and TV stolen on 1st date
- Brush fire destroys 25 acres in Burlington Co. 39 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
7 min ago
- It's a boy - again for Jamie Apody!
54 min ago