Police search for Deptford Mall bandits in NJ
DEPTFORD, N.J. - October 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police are on the hunt for a pair of armed bandits targeting shoppers in the parking lot of the Deptford Mall.
Deptford Township Police detectives believe they are the men seen in surveillance video recorded on the night of Monday September 10th.
The video shows two men who appear to be casually strolling about the mall parking lot. In reality, they are looking for something specific.
Their first target was a woman.
"She comes out to her car," said Deptford Township Police Sergeant George Johnson.
"She says two male subjects approached her and they wanted her cell phone. She originally hands the cell phone to them, then decides she's going to take it back. She is in her car," he said.
She drives away. Johnson said the pair then gets into the car of a man using his phone. One bad guy was in the backseat, one in the passenger seat.
"The person in the front seat pulls out a knife. They want the cell phone. At this point, our victim makes a decision, and he jumps out of the car," said Johnson.
The pair bolts as well, leaving the idling car behind. Their focus was apparently on cell phones, nothing else.
They are described as males, white or Hispanic, one in a red-and-white plaid shirt.
Police released a sketch Wednesday of the other man who was wearing a baggy white shirt. He seems to have a distinctive gait that can be seen in the video.
"If somebody's familiar with these two subjects, feel free give us a call at 856-845-6300 and a detective will assist you," said Johnson.
new jersey, robbery, local/state, john rawlins
- Numbers drawn for $636M Mega Millions jackpot
- Overnight Snow Showers South
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies
- Dramatic video released of violent 7-Eleven robbery
- Coach charged with sexually assaulting 4 more victims
- Woman found murdered in Bethlehem
- 91-year-old man stabbed, robbed in Egg Harbor
- Harvard student charged in campus bomb hoax
- Kevin Hart on stolen computers: I'll be back
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- NASA orders urgent spacewalk repairs at station