2 firefighters injured battling Queen Village blaze
QUEEN VILLAGE - October 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- Two firefighters were injured while battling a blaze in the Queen Village section of Philadelphia.
The fire broke out just before 6:00 p.m. at a three-story house in the 300 block of Monroe Street.
"Once the firefighters came and they broke the windows open, the flames were shooting out of the house and it was pretty scary," Queen Village resident Crystal Robbins said.
A family of nine lives in the home and everyone inside made it out without any injuries.
"That's the good news. The bad news, in our efforts to effect rescue and fight the fire, two firefighters were injured," Philadelphia Fire Department Battalion Chief Asa Grimes said.
One firefighter fell three stories onto his back while another suffered smoke inhalation.
Both were taken to nearby Thomas Jefferson University Hospital.
Amazingly, firefighters were able to get a handle on the fire within minutes of getting onto the scene.
Heavy smoke not only filled the streets of this South Philadelphia community, it spread into several neighboring homes.
Many of those families got into their houses late this evening to check out the damage.
"There's a lot of smoke and it smells horrible and we're probably going to live somewhere else for the next couple of night because it stinks so bad but we have to figure all that out," neighbor Chris Utterback said.
But Chris is mainly concerned with his nine neighbors who are out of a home.
The homeowner who was too upset to speak on camera told Action News he's lived in the house for 60 years.
"I feel terrible for the guy. He's been here for 60 years, great guy. It's just sad," Utterback said.
The Red Cross is helping the nine people displaced by the fire.
The fire was placed under control at 6:33 p.m.
The cause remains under investigation.
philadelphia, queen village, fire, local/state
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila. 34 min ago
- Winter Warm Up 32 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home
- Purse snatcher caught on camera in Montco
- Couple files suit over Lower Twp. blast
- Man robbed at gunpoint in North Philadelphia
- Derailed train car blocks road in South Coatesville
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor 57 min ago
- Arrest in deadly June shooting in West Philadelphia
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
59 min ago
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg...
57 min ago
- Impact of Sunoco HQ, Citibank leaving Philly
54 min ago
- Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
23 min ago