Reading mayor proposes new budget
READING, Pa. - October 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- The mayor of Reading has a proposed a new budget that could mean increases for residents and job cuts for city workers.
Mayor Vaughn Spencer's budget includes a 13 to15 percent property tax hike.
Officials also say pensions and city insurance are up 5 million dollars from last year, which could mean cuts to the city's fire, police, and public works departments.
Many council members say they oppose the budget and the mayor admits it still needs work.
The budget must be approved by December.
reading, taxes, pennsylvania, local/state
- Ocean County forest fire fully contained
- Clouds increase today, showers this evening 10 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of New Jersey forest fires
- House gutted in South Philadelphia blaze 28 min ago
- Warning about dating apps after violent crimes
- Eye doctor, daughter post bail after pot bust
- Wedding crashers apologize to bride
- Photo released of suspect in WCU indecent assault
- 1 dead after motorcycle, vehicle collide in Wilmington
- 2 attempted lurings near Upper Merion school
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- Clouds increase today, showers this evening
10 min ago