Pa. college football player dies after mugging
WASHINGTON, Pa. (AP) - October 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a football player at a small western Pennsylvania college has been killed during a street robbery.
Timothy McNerney was a running back for Washington & Jefferson College, about 20 miles from Pittsburgh.
Police say the 21-year-old senior died Thursday morning of a head injury after he and a friend were mugged coming home from an off-campus bar. Police have no suspects.
McNerney's friend told police he didn't recognize the assailants, who tried to steal a cellphone.
After a scuffle, the injured friend ran back to campus and alerted authorities. McNerney was later found unresponsive near the robbery site. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.
The campus held a vigil Thursday night for McNerney, who was from Butler. College President Tori Haring-Smith says the community is heartbroken.
robbery, college, pennsylvania, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 23 min ago
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Trash truck overturns on Rt. 130 in Pennsauken 20 min ago
- Kensington chocolate factory shut down by City 6 min ago
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident
- Suspects sought for shooting into home
- Search for missing teenager in Camden
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 40 min ago
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos