Pa. college football player dies after mugging
WASHINGTON, Pa. (AP) - October 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a football player at a small western Pennsylvania college has been killed during a street robbery.
Timothy McNerney was a running back for Washington & Jefferson College, about 20 miles from Pittsburgh.
Police say the 21-year-old senior died Thursday morning of a head injury after he and a friend were mugged coming home from an off-campus bar. Police have no suspects.
McNerney's friend told police he didn't recognize the assailants, who tried to steal a cellphone.
After a scuffle, the injured friend ran back to campus and alerted authorities. McNerney was later found unresponsive near the robbery site. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.
The campus held a vigil Thursday night for McNerney, who was from Butler. College President Tori Haring-Smith says the community is heartbroken.
robbery, college, pennsylvania, local/state
- Photos: AccuWeather Maps: Snow arrives 25 min ago
- Snow will turn the ground white again! 16 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire 26 min ago
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator 1 min ago
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia 27 min ago
- March Madness: Villanova, St. Joe's, UDel all in 7 min ago
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees 33 min ago
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Snow will turn the ground white again!
16 min ago
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
26 min ago
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
27 min ago
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight...
1 min ago