Philadelphia man killed in Wilkes-Barre police shootout
WILKES-BARRE, Pa. - October 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Philadelphia man is dead after a shootout involving police in Wilkes-Barre, Pa.
Robert Montgomery Jr., 29, died in the shooting Friday morning at the Sherman Hills Apartments.
Investigators say Montgomery had been wanted for attempted homicide in Philadelphia.
He was in Wilkes-Barre staying with his father, Robert Montgomery Sr., on the 5th floor of the complex.
It was around 8:00 a.m. when the U.S. Marshals, along with Wilkes-Barre police, came to serve the warrant.
That's when there was a shootout between Montgomery Jr. and police.
Both father and son were shot, as well as Wilkes-Barre police officer Sgt. Matthew Stash.
Robert Montgomery Jr. was killed, while Robert Montgomery Sr. was taken to the hospital.
The police officer was hit in the leg and is expected to recover.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, police, shooting, local/state
- Very cold today, Saturday storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating 22 min ago
- 2 dead after truck and car collide in Mercer County
- Suspicious package found outside Planet Fitness in Olney
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Worker shocked by electrical cable in East Falls
- Bandit holds up TD Bank in Chestnut Hill
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted