Family wants answers in Camden shooting
CAMDEN. N.J. - October 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- Camden police are still searching for the gunman who opened fire on a car last weekend, killing two people and wounding three others.
Two groups of people gathered Saturday, one to mourn, the other to protest.
Family and friends gathered to say goodbye to 19-year-old Jewel Manire.
The young mother was one of two people killed after someone shot five people riding in a car together in Camden last week.
Relatives are looking for answers.
"Right now, we are experiencing a lot of sadness, a lot of questions why?" said Sharon Evans.
"This is my third student since August that has been killed," said Atiba Sonnebeyatta. "It's been tough."
Youth Pastor and school counselor Atiba Sonnebeyatta calls the escalating violence heartbreaking.
Just down the street from the funeral Saturday, protesters spoke out against Camden's plan to eliminate the city's police force and instead turn it into a county wide unit.
Councilperson Brian Coleman and the FOP are questioning the current use of overtime pay and demanding an investigation by the Attorney General.
"They use over $1.7 million in taxpayer money for city policing at the concert and Cooper Hospital. They are saying city funds need to be used for city policing," said Nancy Webster, FOP Camden Lodge One.
The city had no comment Saturday.
"Something of this magnitude, I think residents should decide they want another police department here or do we want to keep the current police department and improve it," said Coleman.
shooting, camden, new jersey, local/state
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos