Wilmington couple claims $50M Powerball prize
WILMINGTON, Del. - October 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- A husband and wife from Wilmington, Delaware have come forward to claim their $50 million jackpot from the Wednesday Powerball drawing.
The couple, who opted to remain anonymous, selected the cash single-payment value for the jackpot, which totaled $33.05 million before federal withholding taxes.
The winning ticket was validated by Delaware Lottery officials on Friday afternoon.
"I checked my numbers in the newspaper during a break at work, and when I realized I had won, I had the shakes," said the man, who described himself as a laborer, in a written statement. "I was like, I'm done. I'm done for the day!"
His wife was similarly rattled when she heard about their good fortune.
"I said, 'Oh my God!'" she said in the statement. "And I immediately thought, 'What can we do for our family?'"
The ticket was purchased at Cutrona's Liquors in Wilmington.
wilmington, delaware, lottery, powerball, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 59 min ago
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ