Thousands walk in local Susan G. Komen 3-Day
PHILADELPHIA - October 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- Thousands of women were rallying on Friday evening at the Susan G. Komen 3-Day walk to raise money for breast cancer research.
It all started at 7:00 a.m. as 1,700 men and women in pink parked themselves outside the Willow Grove Park Mall for the start of the walk.
Opening ceremonies brought teams of breast cancer survivors, fighters and supporters to tears. Inner strength and a morning stretch helped this crowd power through and begin a 60 mile walk through the Philadelphia area to raise millions for the breast cancer foundation.
"We raised over $45,000 for this cause. It means the world to me and, hopefully, we'll find a cure someday," said Sharon Fedele of Horsham. "That's my goal."
"I couldn't sleep last night because I couldn't wait to get here," said Cherrill Pilone of Florence Twp., N.J.
Hundreds walked with a common goal in mind. Bill Bradford of Plymouth Meeting is here for his wife, Lori, who is now five years free of breast cancer.
"I do it to help everyone else. It's a long road, it's amazing, an absolutely amazing event," Lori said.
Walkers will spend their evenings at a camp set up at the Convention Center in Center City. In three days they will cover 60 miles and finish with a victory walk to the Philadelphia Navy Yard, where they can celebrate the millions of dollars they've raised for this cause.
"Words can't express it. It's just all these people out here, all survivors raising money," said Phyllis Cobb.
The Philadelphia 3-Day has raised $4.6 million.
philadelphia, breast cancer, local/state
- Drexel student found dead in sorority house 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday 20 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Video: Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
20 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos