Police impersonator wanted in Camden sex assault
CAMDEN, N.J. - October 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities in Camden are looking for the man who they say sexually assaulted a woman while impersonating a police officer.
It happened around 5:45 Friday morning on the 200 block of Sycamore Street.
The victim - who admitted to being a prostitute - told police she was in a vehicle with a "customer" when the suspect approached, presenting himself as a police officer.
The suspect asked the "customer" for identification then told him to leave. Afterwards, police say he sexually assaulted the victim.
The man impersonating an officer is described as a black male, 35-40 years-old, 5'10", 180 pounds, with big eyes, a bald head and a medium complexion.
He had a clean appearance, appeared to be physically fit and spoke with a stern voice.
Police say the suspect was last seen wearing a blue or black button down shirt adorned with a shield and a patch labeled "police." He also wore blue or black cargo pants, black boots, black gloves and a blue or black baseball cap with "police" on the brim.
The suspect also had a holster that appeared to have a gun in it and a yellow walkie-talkie attached to his belt.
Meanwhile police are also trying to locate a vehicle that was seen in the area between 4:45 and 6:30 a.m. It's a tan or red older model vehicle with a bike handing out of the back.
Police say the driver is believed to have been the "customer" of the woman sexually assaulted.
The "customer" is described as a black male 35-40 years-old with a husky build, light complexion, glasses and a southern accent.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Camden Police Department at (856) 757-7420. Information may also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
new jersey, camden county, police impersonator, sex assault, local/state
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Brisk And Cold
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home
- Couple files suit over Lower Twp. blast 23 min ago
- Man robbed at gunpoint in North Philadelphia
- Derailed train car blocking road in South Coatesville
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- Arrest in deadly June shooting in West Philadelphia
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall 5 min ago
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier