Eagle Scout restores forgotten war memorial
GLENOLDEN, Pa. - October 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- A forgotten war memorial was remembered Saturday after one young Eagle Scout person cared enough to bring it back to life.
The beautiful memorial in Glenolden Park honors U.S. servicemen and women, but it didn't always shine so bright.
"It used to look like this but with the vandalism over time it just degraded," said Chris Shaw.
Avid runner and Eagle Scout, Chris Shaw spotted the blighted landmark while training with his Interboro High School track team.
"I would walk by here every day for cross country and track up the hill. I would see it and it was such a disgrace how badly this monument had gotten," he said.
So the 18-year-old Eagle Scout and high school senior turned the disgrace into his Eagle Scout project, calling on help from Boy Scout Troop 44.
"I thought it was an ambitious project, but I knew Chris had a lot of energy," said Scoutmaster Josh Nay.
The community also offered their help.
"We got flowers donated from Home Depot," Chris said.
More than 36 volunteers offered to help, and 8 local businesses pitched in.
Chris' planning started in June, and he logged 380 man hours.
He began the heavy lifting just over a week ago. In that short amount of time, he got the pole back up and restored honor to the local veterans.
"We are very honored," said Dan Malloy from Command Post 566. "It is bringing more glory back into our nation; something we really need."
"It is important that we reach out to the youth and give them the credit for stepping up and helping with the community," said Jim Kauffman.
The proud Eagle Scout watched as veterans from Command Post 566 gave him their approval through a gun salute.
The memorial originally was to honor World War I veterans, but Chris wants the new memorial to honor all veterans.
veterans, pennsylvania, local/state
- Search for missing college student from Collegeville
- Stray Shower, Patchy Fog Tonight
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma, hit other states
- 2 alarm apartment fire in Washington Township
- Tracking down criminals with family DNA testing
- 15 motorcyclists arrested in NJ Turnpike chase
- Bear spotted in Bensalem, Bucks County
- Teen killed over iPad, 2 suspects arrested
- 2 FBI agents killed in training accident in Virginia
- 1 winning Powerball ticket sold in Florida
- Sketches released of Del. attempted abduction suspect
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 winners list
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos