Eagle Scout restores forgotten war memorial
GLENOLDEN, Pa. - October 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- A forgotten war memorial was remembered Saturday after one young Eagle Scout person cared enough to bring it back to life.
The beautiful memorial in Glenolden Park honors U.S. servicemen and women, but it didn't always shine so bright.
"It used to look like this but with the vandalism over time it just degraded," said Chris Shaw.
Avid runner and Eagle Scout, Chris Shaw spotted the blighted landmark while training with his Interboro High School track team.
"I would walk by here every day for cross country and track up the hill. I would see it and it was such a disgrace how badly this monument had gotten," he said.
So the 18-year-old Eagle Scout and high school senior turned the disgrace into his Eagle Scout project, calling on help from Boy Scout Troop 44.
"I thought it was an ambitious project, but I knew Chris had a lot of energy," said Scoutmaster Josh Nay.
The community also offered their help.
"We got flowers donated from Home Depot," Chris said.
More than 36 volunteers offered to help, and 8 local businesses pitched in.
Chris' planning started in June, and he logged 380 man hours.
He began the heavy lifting just over a week ago. In that short amount of time, he got the pole back up and restored honor to the local veterans.
"We are very honored," said Dan Malloy from Command Post 566. "It is bringing more glory back into our nation; something we really need."
"It is important that we reach out to the youth and give them the credit for stepping up and helping with the community," said Jim Kauffman.
The proud Eagle Scout watched as veterans from Command Post 566 gave him their approval through a gun salute.
The memorial originally was to honor World War I veterans, but Chris wants the new memorial to honor all veterans.
veterans, pennsylvania, local/state
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Investigators chasing 'every angle' on missing jet
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington 54 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Photos: Kevin Grow joins Harlem Globetrotters
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
11 min ago