Eagle Scout restores forgotten war memorial
GLENOLDEN, Pa. - October 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- A forgotten war memorial was remembered Saturday after one young Eagle Scout person cared enough to bring it back to life.
The beautiful memorial in Glenolden Park honors U.S. servicemen and women, but it didn't always shine so bright.
"It used to look like this but with the vandalism over time it just degraded," said Chris Shaw.
Avid runner and Eagle Scout, Chris Shaw spotted the blighted landmark while training with his Interboro High School track team.
"I would walk by here every day for cross country and track up the hill. I would see it and it was such a disgrace how badly this monument had gotten," he said.
So the 18-year-old Eagle Scout and high school senior turned the disgrace into his Eagle Scout project, calling on help from Boy Scout Troop 44.
"I thought it was an ambitious project, but I knew Chris had a lot of energy," said Scoutmaster Josh Nay.
The community also offered their help.
"We got flowers donated from Home Depot," Chris said.
More than 36 volunteers offered to help, and 8 local businesses pitched in.
Chris' planning started in June, and he logged 380 man hours.
He began the heavy lifting just over a week ago. In that short amount of time, he got the pole back up and restored honor to the local veterans.
"We are very honored," said Dan Malloy from Command Post 566. "It is bringing more glory back into our nation; something we really need."
"It is important that we reach out to the youth and give them the credit for stepping up and helping with the community," said Jim Kauffman.
The proud Eagle Scout watched as veterans from Command Post 566 gave him their approval through a gun salute.
The memorial originally was to honor World War I veterans, but Chris wants the new memorial to honor all veterans.
veterans, pennsylvania, local/state
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy 34 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Police shoot at suspected carjacker in SW Philly
- Driver crashes into police cruiser in Wilmington
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Video: Flyers fans receive greatest Christmas gift
- Beyonce releases new album on iTunes 14 min ago
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy
34 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos