Police: Shooting that killed 2, injured 3 in Camden not random
CAMDEN, N.J. - October 8, 2012 (WPVI) -- Investigators in Camden say a shooting that left two people dead and three others injured was not a random act of violence.
The Camden County Prosecutor's Office is investigating the shooting that involved four women and one man.
The killer has not been identified at this time, but investigators believe the killer knew at least one of the victims.
Police say they are narrowing down the motives in this crime, and say drugs do not appear to be a factor.
The shooting happened around 11:45 Saturday near the intersection of Morgan Boulevard and Olive Street.
Authorities say the five victims were sitting in a car in a field when a masked man walked up, got in the driver's side of the car and opened fire.
18-year-old Jewel Manire and 20-year-old Khalil Gibson were shot and killed.
The gunman then pushed the driver out of the seat and drove with the remaining victims to a dirt road off the 2500 block of Morgan Boulevard.
There, a 20-year-old female jumped from the vehicle and ran. The shooter chased her but she was able to escape and call 911.
A 16-year-old female was found shot in the head and is listed in critical condition.
A 17-year-old female was shot in the shoulder and the 20-year-old female was shot in the face.
All three victims were taken to Cooper University Hospital.
The suspect was last seen running toward basketball courts on a field near Morgan Boulevard.
He's described as a Hispanic male, approximately six feet tall. He wore a black mask over the lower part of his face and yellow latex gloves. He was armed with a gun and a machete.
Anyone with information is urged to contact Camden Police at (856) 757-7420 or the Camden County Prosecutor's Office at (856) 365-3239. Tips can also be emailed to email@example.com.
new jersey, camden, shooting, homicide, local/state
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- 76ers owner Harris calls 19-win season 'success'
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Bride gets help after banquet closes
- Worth the wait: Easter treats in Philadelphia
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show 30 min ago