Police: Shooting that killed 2, injured 3 in Camden not random
CAMDEN, N.J. - October 8, 2012 (WPVI) -- Investigators in Camden say a shooting that left two people dead and three others injured was not a random act of violence.
The Camden County Prosecutor's Office is investigating the shooting that involved four women and one man.
The killer has not been identified at this time, but investigators believe the killer knew at least one of the victims.
Police say they are narrowing down the motives in this crime, and say drugs do not appear to be a factor.
The shooting happened around 11:45 Saturday near the intersection of Morgan Boulevard and Olive Street.
Authorities say the five victims were sitting in a car in a field when a masked man walked up, got in the driver's side of the car and opened fire.
18-year-old Jewel Manire and 20-year-old Khalil Gibson were shot and killed.
The gunman then pushed the driver out of the seat and drove with the remaining victims to a dirt road off the 2500 block of Morgan Boulevard.
There, a 20-year-old female jumped from the vehicle and ran. The shooter chased her but she was able to escape and call 911.
A 16-year-old female was found shot in the head and is listed in critical condition.
A 17-year-old female was shot in the shoulder and the 20-year-old female was shot in the face.
All three victims were taken to Cooper University Hospital.
The suspect was last seen running toward basketball courts on a field near Morgan Boulevard.
He's described as a Hispanic male, approximately six feet tall. He wore a black mask over the lower part of his face and yellow latex gloves. He was armed with a gun and a machete.
Anyone with information is urged to contact Camden Police at (856) 757-7420 or the Camden County Prosecutor's Office at (856) 365-3239. Tips can also be emailed to email@example.com.
new jersey, camden, shooting, homicide, local/state
- 1 dead, 5 hurt in Trenton drive-by shooting
- Record Warmth! 34 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Crews battle house fire in Elsmere 59 min ago
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- Photos: Snowy owl spotted in Strathmere 25 min ago
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Record Warmth!
34 min ago