Phila. police shoot armed man in Hunting Park
HUNTING PARK - October 7, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police opened fire on a man who they say pointed a gun at officers in Hunting Park.
It happened around 3:20 Sunday morning near the Exxon gas station on the 4500 block of Whitaker Street.
Arriving officers found a man armed with a gun in the gas station parking lot. The suspect allegedly pointed his gun at another man who had his hands in the air.
Police ordered the armed man to drop his weapon and but the suspect fled on foot.
Two officers from the 25th district chased after him. Police say the suspect pointed his gun at them.
Both officers opened fire, striking the suspect in the leg. He continued to run but was later apprehended by police.
The suspect was taken to Temple University Hospital in stable condition.
Police say the numerous charges are pending.
philadelphia, hunting park, police, shooting, local/state
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos