Phila. police shoot armed man in Hunting Park
HUNTING PARK - October 7, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police opened fire on a man who they say pointed a gun at officers in Hunting Park.
It happened around 3:20 Sunday morning near the Exxon gas station on the 4500 block of Whitaker Street.
Arriving officers found a man armed with a gun in the gas station parking lot. The suspect allegedly pointed his gun at another man who had his hands in the air.
Police ordered the armed man to drop his weapon and but the suspect fled on foot.
Two officers from the 25th district chased after him. Police say the suspect pointed his gun at them.
Both officers opened fire, striking the suspect in the leg. He continued to run but was later apprehended by police.
The suspect was taken to Temple University Hospital in stable condition.
Police say the numerous charges are pending.
philadelphia, hunting park, police, shooting, local/state
- Drexel student found dead in sorority house
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Hunt for missing Malaysian jet widens to distant waters 1 min ago
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Video: Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos