Fallen teen firefighter laid to rest in Delaware
DAGSBORO, Del. - October 7, 2012 (WPVI) -- A junior firefighter from Dagsboro who was killed in the line of duty has been laid to rest.
WDEL Radio reports 17-year-old Justin Townsend's funeral was held Saturday at Indian River High School.
Townsend was a junior firefighter with the Dagsboro Volunteer Fire Department. He was killed in a crash in September north of Selbyville.
At the time of his death he was responding to the fire station for an alarm. Investigators say Townsend was a passenger in a pickup truck and that the truck spun on a curve, struck a pole and overturned. Townsend was pronounced dead at the scene.
He is the first volunteer firefighter to die in the line of duty in the department's 69-year history.
Information from: WDEL-AM
accident, teens, delaware, local/state
- Video: Chris Sowers with storm update 16 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Up to 50 vehicles in deadly PA Turnpike crash 2 min ago
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps 59 min ago
- Photos: Images of Sunday's winter storm 14 min ago
- 6abc.com Flight Tracker
- Check local traffic on 6abc.com! 56 min ago
- Video: Eagles fan tailgate in the snow
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Police: Son of PHA employee charged with DUI
- Body found in Logan tire fire
- Susan Boyle says Asperger's diagnosis was a relief
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
36 min ago